Monday, November 10, 2008

Diplo live @ Commonwealth DC

Super Producer and DJ Diplo Live @ Commonwealth DC

Fresh beats and amazing productions credits DIPLO is international sensation, after his public relationship with MIA. Weds Night from 6 to 8 p.m. internationally acclaimed DJ Diplo brings his unique and progressive style to Commonwealth DC

Diplo will also be bringing his roster of MAD DECENT talent including Blackstar, Boy 8-Bit, and Telepath.

Drinks and Hor D'Ouevres provided as always. Later DIPLO will be performing at the Black Cat.

Check out his Interview with Washington Express NightOut:

"FOR BALTIMORE'S CLUB scene, there was the late DJ K-Swift. For the celebrity crowd, there's Lindsay Lohan's very special friend, Samantha Ronson. And for any hipster, there's Diplo — aka Wesley Pentz, former beau of rapper M.I.A., owner of the Mad Decent label and co-runner of music collective Hollertronix. Been bumping to "Paper Planes" since "Pineapple Express"? Thank Diplo for that beat.

In fact, you could thank him in person, as Diplo performs at the Black Cat in Washington on Nov. 12 and Sonar in Baltimore on Nov. 13. The DJ will take the stage with Abe Vigoda, Boy 8-Bit and Telepathe (and No Age in Washington and DJ Blaqstarr in Baltimore). He had a quick chat with Express before the sound check at his San Francisco show last week.

EXPRESS: How is the Mad Decent tour going? » DIPLO: The tour's been crazy so far. ... We had a little rough patch in the middle where we went to jail, but I can't talk about that, the jail thing. But it's been crazy.

EXPRESS: What should fans expect from your shows at the Black Cat in Washington and Sonar in Baltimore?» DIPLO: Well, playing Baltimore will be a little more club, because DJ Blaqstarr will be there, and the Washington show will be crazy, because of No Age. That show will probably be the best lineup to come to D.C., ever, in the history of music. I think you can expect to hear loads of Mad Decent stuff; there will be dancing onstage; No Age and Telepathe will be just be playing crazy stuff. If you listen to us and know what kind of stuff we do, you'll enjoy it.

EXPRESS: So far this year, you've remixed songs from artists as varied as Kanye West ("Flashing Lights"), Spoon ("Don't You Evah") and Radiohead ("Reckoner"). Where do you draw your inspiration from?» DIPLO: As far as remixes, I get my inspiration from like, the budget we have. ... But sometimes I'll remix stuff on my own, like, the Kanye West remix I did for my own; the Radiohead one, that was my favorite song on ["In Rainbows"]. Then, other remixes I've done, I do for friends — I do for Boys Noize and Bart B More. That's more club stuff, and I can do stuff for that real quick.

EXPRESS: What's next for you? » DIPLO: I have a couple more shows after this, Christmas Eve-era shows, and then I'm going to Trans Musicales de Rennes in France — it's a big party, it's like South by Southwest over there. And then I'm doing a big warehouse party, and then I'm going to Jamaica to do some promo work for the record [recorded with fellow DJ and producer Switch]. I'll be there doing a video in December.

Black Cat, 1811 14th St. NW; with No Age, Abe Vigoda, Boy 8-Bit and Telepathe,
Wed., Nov. 12, 7:30 p.m., $15; 202-667-4490. (U Street-Cardozo)

Written by Express contributor Roxana Hadadi"

Commonwealth DC
1781 Florida Ave. NW
Washington DC, 20009
202.265.1830

http://www.maddecent.com/
http://www.cmonwealth.com/
http://www.theblockdc.wordpress.com/